Go Back   LOST.COM Forums > The Water Cooler > Season 1
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar

Old 02-10-2009, 03:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0

I think there was more to it when Walt said "Is that Vincent" when we first hear the Smoke Monster in the trees knocking them down. I have a lab also and would never think that noise was coming from her. If I am not mistaking, the wrters already said that the smoke monster has taken on the form of the dog, amongst other things. Just as Ben "called" the smoke monster to do away with the mercenaries, perhaps Christian "called" upon the smoke monster in the form of Vincent to get Jack to begin his work.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2009, 03:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like

The writers said the monster changed forms? The closest I can think of is when the island showed eko yemi

Old 02-10-2009, 06:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like

In the origional story line for the pilot When Jack, Kate and charlie go to the cockpit Jack gets caught by the smoke monster and killed. It is his body that Kate and charlie find in the tree, not the pilot. Then back on the beach there is supposed to be an important dialog between Kate and Charlie where she asks him why he wanted to go find the cockpit. That is the part of the show where Kate starts to develop into the main heroine of the show. She was supposed to be a business woman who's husband was lost in the tail section. The powers at ABC didn't like the idea of making Jack our hero just to have him killed off halfway through the pilot. So, they re-wrote the script, but had a very very short time to do so. I think the topics broached in this thread are all due to the change in script. Charlie going to the cockpit for his heroine and Kate's terrified reaction when Jack is missing were very important for the development of those characters, so the writers had to fudge things a little to make them work. It wouldn't make sense for charlie to go back to the cockpit if he had time to wrap up his heroin and put it back in his pocket and they couldn't have him flush it. Rewriting the scene the way they did creates a small inaccuracy in regards to the placement of charlies after the crash, but it allowed them maintain the story line without too much rewritting. The same goes with Jack, avoiding the monster by jumping in the bushes is a lot less rewriting than creating an entire scene to explain how he got away

Old 02-11-2009, 04:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard the same thing elsewhere. Which leads me to the thought that , if they were willing to kill off jack in the pilot episode, then he cant be the essential hero of the story, I think these guys had thier ending in place when they were writing the pilot. I think they already knew how this thing ends. And I dont know how Jack can be the "hero" and "key" to the story when they were gonna kill him right away.
Yet Only jack knows the ending to this series, as he was the only one to shoot the last scene. So he must be somethin important

Old 02-11-2009, 03:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Do the producers say that we missed something in "Pilot 1" or "episode 1"? On the DVD, they are listed as Pilot 1 & 2 and then Episode 1. Just curious.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Jack can still be essential. You don't think the writers/creators can change their minds at some point in 5 years about the end of the show?

Old 02-13-2009, 12:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like

I heard an interview with some of the writers/producers a year or two back. They said that they had no idea Lost would create such a huge following and such devoted group of fans. Due to this the details are not as sharp in the early episodes. There are quit a lot of continuity errors and such in season 1 but as the show gathered fans and the lost-mania spread around the net and websites and forum like this one analyzed the show into every tiny bit the producers/writers where much more into the details. If someone had told them that we would analyze a detail on the beach five years later they would probably not believe it or just think we are crazy.

There is a scene with Sawyer and Kate outside Sawyers hut/tent early in the first season where the same people walk by in the far background two or three times. The scene is shot from different angles and cut into the final production leaving some extras in not the EXACT same position at the EXACT same time in every shot. So when Sawyer with his back to the water talks to Kate we see some survivors walk by behind his head down by the ocean, Kate replies and the camera is back on Sawyer who says something while the survivors passes by down by the water, again. I think this happens three times. It has nothing to do with time traveling. Just with the amount of attention to details that is put into a normal, average show and how much is expected and put into Lost in 2009. A scene like that would just never go on air on a Lost episode today.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like

i think after watching the episode, when charlie buckels himself back up, the chair he is in is totally different from his original seat. the seat he gets into is much larger and has a console in the middle of the two seats, something that you would expect for a 1st class seat, not a regular coach seat.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like

[
Yet Only jack knows the ending to this series, as he was the only one to shoot the last scene. So he must be somethin important[/QUOTE]

Have they already shot the last scene, did I miss that?

If so, then that leads in with my theory that when we see Jack laying in the jungle in the opening scene that he is not there because of the crash, but because this is him coming back to the island.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 11

This has been driving me crazy so I spent a little bit of time yesterday trying to find when TPTB said that there was a clue in the first episode so I could hear it for myself. What I did find was an interview on ODI's site with one of the writers of Lost. It was a question in one of those "fan submitted" question / answer sessions. Here is the link:

http://the-odi.blogspot.com/2008/01/...rs-part-2.html

Question #60 was exactly that. What is the big clue in the pilot episode? The writer answered that the big clue was when Charlie asked, "Guys, where are we"?